Hello, my name is Ben. I am a Lecturer in Computer Science at Bournemouth University.
I graduated with a First Class (Honours) B.Sc. in Applied Computing from the University of Dundee in 2012.
After taking a short break from academia to travel around Australia, I returned to Dundee in 2014 to begin my PhD in Computer Science (HCI) supervised by Dr David Flatla. My PhD research focused on working with people with hearing loss to develop technology to enhance their acquisition of speechreading (commonly called lipreading). I successfully defended my thesis in December 2017 and then held a Sessional Lecturer position at Dundee until the summer of 2018.
Since November 2018, I have been appointed as a Lecturer in Computer Science at Bournemouth University on the South-East coast of England. In my role at Bournemouth, I am continuing to research aspects of Accessibility within HCI.
If you are interested in working together on a project, let's have a chat.
Office Location:P325 Poole House, Talbot Campus,
Bournemouth University,Fern Barrow, Poole, England,BH12 5BB(+44) 01202 965732
Lecturer in Computer Science, Bournemouth UniversityNov 2018 – Present Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Sessional Lecturer, University of DundeeJan 2018 – Aug 2018 Dundee, United Kingdom Courses Taught:
- AC22006 - Physical Computing (Lecturer)
- AC12001 – Introduction To Data Structures And Algorithms (Tutor)
- AC11003 – Java Online (Tutor)
Associate Lecturer, University of DundeeJan 2014 – Aug 2017 Dundee, United Kingdom Courses Taught:
- AC11003 – Java Online – Online Tutor & Marker – 2017
- SS03009 – Applied Computing – Lecturer & Marker – 2017
- AC21010 – Data Visualisation – Lecturer & Marker – 2016 & 2017
- AC22006 – Physical Computing – Lecturer & Marker – 2016 & 2017
- AC11001 – Introduction to Software Development – Marker 2014 & 2015
- AC12001 – Introduction To Data Structures And Algorithms – Marker 2014 & 2015
- Program Committee (PC) Member, Late Breaking Work: CHI 2019
- Program Committee (PC) Member, Late Breaking Work: CHI 2018
Academic Paper Reviewing: 2014 – Present
- Special Recognition Award for Reviewing: CHI 2017 Papers and Notes
- CHI 2019 - Full Papers: (2)
- CHI 2019 Workshop Proposals: (1)
- CHI 2018 - Late Breaking Work: (3)
- TACCESS 2017 - Journal Paper: (1)
- CHI 2017 - Full Papers: 2017 (1)
- Graphics Interfaces - Full Papers: (1)
- CHI 2017 - Student Research Competition: (1)
- DIS 2017 - Full Papers: (2)
- DIS 2016 - Works In-Progress: (4)
- ASSETS 2015 - Full Papers: (5)
- CHI 2015 - Full Papers: (1)
- CHI 2015 - Works In-Progress: (1)
- Mobile HCI 2014 - Demonstrations and Mobile Experience (1)
- ASSETS 2014 (Second Reviewer) - Full Papers (4)
Keep an eye on my Instagram to follow my surfing and travelling antics.